The initial brief was to create a snow covered environment around the house and add a light snowing effect in two shots. We would do this by making a matte painting of the environment and add some light snow using the Nuke particle system. However, quickly became obvious that the agency loved to see snow in more shots, to add some extra atmosphere to the story. In the end we decided we didn’t want to take it overboard since the story is already beautiful and too much VFX would only distract the viewer. Going from almost no snow, to a lot of snow, to a nicely balanced amount. Since no 3D was budgeted all snow has been using Nuke’s particle system.
- MAtte Painting
- Camera Tracking
- Particle System
- Matte Painting: Add snow in the exteriors.
- Particle System: Add falling snow in the exteriors and interiors looking outside.
- Camera tracking & Match-moving: To accommodate for the 3D particles and clean up.
- Retouch: Removing all street signs and billboard and clean up in several shots. Moving and duplicating the flat apartments in the wide shot to remedy a lighting issue.
- Screen insert: Different content for the TV.
- Director: Ismael
- Production: Pink Rabbit
- Advertiser: Plus
- Agency: J. Walter Thompson Amsterdam
- Agency Producer: Marloes van den Berg
- Creatives: Chris Sant, Gerard Foekema
- Producer: Monique van Beckhoven
- Executive Producer: Mireille Lampe
- DOP: Martijn van Broekhuizen
- Editor: Martin Heijgelaar
- Sound: Lab 3, Jeroen van Gessel
- Music composer: The Cinematic Orchestra – To Build A Home
- Post Production: Captcha
- Compositing: Gregoire Verweijen
- Colour grading: Barry Clarke
- Post Production Producer: Marcel Oudendijk
The judges were impressed by the well-executed and subtle camera work. An outstanding combination of a classic story with a modern feel while staying away from clichés.
CINEMATOGRAPHY / SILVER
It’s quite common these days to see Christmas ads designed to pull at your heart strings, but hitting the perfect note is far from easy. We were moved by this modern family story that is incredibly well told and undeniably emotional.
FILM & VIDEO / SILVER
It’s a challenging film to make, in subject and storytelling. It can only be a success when the director pours their soul into it. And it shows.
FILM DIRECTION / BRONZE